Search This Blog

Sunday 17 December 2017

Soundtrack4Life: The Best Albums of 2017 - #06 Savage (Songs From A Broken World) - Gary Numan (2017)

Back in 2013 Gary Numan released Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) to great critical and even commercial acclaim (it became his first Top 20 album since Warriors in 1993) peaking at #20 in the UK and only #175 in the USA. I really liked the album and also heard a couple of bootlegs from the tour that were really impressed me as well.

It's funny thinking about that because I have an odd history when it comes to Gary Numan and especially his band Tubeway Army. Way back in 1978 I had quite liked the first two singles from Tubeway Army (That's Too Bad and Bombers) but I saw them live and absolutely hated them! Then in 1979 I heard Down in the Park single and then Replicas album came out a month later and although I was more a guitar and drums kinda guy here's an album that is mainly electronic and I loved it. It was a work of genius. Then there were a few songs here and there I liked but over all I wasn't really taken with many of his albums put out under his own name.

One of the things that I have admired about him though is that he has been persistent in the face of falling sales, unpopularity among the masses, label changes, many knock downs from the music press, and he has continued to get up time and time again and in some way that has merely sharpened him and Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) was the beginning of people starting to get him all over again.

Four years on from that Savage (Songs From A Broken World) entered into the world in September and once again I find myself stunned by its sheer brilliance. Album #21 and 39 years on from his first with Tubeway Army, Gary Numan has got something to say and I'm not the only one listening as the critics have been lining up to heap praise upon it and the fact that it entered the UK Chart at #2 shows that others have either returned to the Numanoid world or have freshly embraced it.


Savage (Songs From A Broken World) - Gary Numan
BMG
Produced By Ade Fenton
Released September 2017
CD, Cassette and Vinyl and Limited Edition Vinyl Picture Disc (500 Copies only!)
UK Chart #2
US Chart #34*
Australian Chart #76**

* Was Numan's first Top 40 album in the USA since The Pleasure Principle in 1979!

** Was Numan's first chart entry in Australia since I, Assassin way back in 1982!

(Limited Edition Picture Disc)

Listen To Savage (Songs From A Broken World) Here:

 Personnel
Gary Numan – vocals, keyboards
Ade Fenton – keyboards, programming
Steve Harris – guitars
Tim Slade – bass
Persia Numan – backing vocals

(UK & European CD Cover)

 2LP Vinyl Tracklist
A1 Ghost Nation    
A2 Bed Of Thorns    
A3 My Name Is Ruin    
B1 The End Of Things    
B2 And It All Began With You    
B3 When The World Comes Apart    
C1 Mercy    
C2 What God Intended    
C3 If I Said    
D1 Pray For The Pain You Serve    
D2 Broken    
D3 Cold

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts