Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 March 2017

Rewind: Bringing It All Back Home - Bob Dylan (1965)



Bringing It All Back Home - Bob Dylan
Columbia (US)/ CBS (UK)
Produced by Tom Wilson
Released 22nd March 1965
US Chart #6
UK Chart #1


As the original studio versions of the album are not available on You Tube I have created the playlist with live versions etc. Two tracks are missing completely from it and this is due to the fact that I could only find cover versions on You Tube. The two absent tracks are Outlaw Blues and Bob Dylan's 115th Dream. I hope it doesn't spoil your listening too much!


Side 1

Side 2
Personnel
    Bob Dylan – guitar, harmonica, keyboards, vocals

Additional musicians
    John Boone – bass guitar
    Al Gorgoni – guitar
    Bobby Gregg – drums
    Paul Griffin – piano, keyboards
    John P. Hammond – guitar
    Bruce Langhorne – guitar
    Bill Lee – bass guitar
    Joseph Macho, Jr. – bass guitar
    Frank Owens – piano
    Kenny Rankin – guitar
    John B. Sebastian – bass guitar

Singles On Bringing It All Back Home

 Bringing It All Back Home
Columbia Stereo Seven
March 1965
US Promo Only

A-Side
B-Side


This EP was a "Special Coin Operator Release" made available to juke box operators only, with a page of 20 jukebox strips and six mini pictures of the front sleeve. 

 A-Side
B-Side
Subterranean Homesick Blues / She Belongs To Me
Columbia
Released 8th March 1965 US
US Chart #39

 A-Side: Subterranean Homesick Blues
B-Side: The Times They Are A-Changin'
CBS 
Holland
Released 10th May 1965

The single was also issued in France


 (French Picture Sleeve)

and Italy (where the A and B-Sides were reversed)
(Italian Picture Sleeve)


Maggie's Farm / On The Road Again

CBS (UK)
Released 4th June 1965
UK Chart #22

Mr Tambourine Man EP
 A-Side: Mr Tambourine Man

B-Side: Subterranean Homesick Blues / On The Road Again




CBS
Australian Release
March 1966

Mr Tambourine Man EP

A-Side: Mr Tambourine Man

B-Side: Subterranean Homesick Blues / It's All Over Now, Baby Blue


CBS
Released in the UK October 1966

*******************


I would not for a second ever consider myself to be any kind of expert when it comes to the life and music of Bob Dylan. Like many I grew up hearing his records on the radio (and did like a few of them) but didn't actually buy any of his albums until I heard the song It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) in the late 70's. How I came to stumble on this particular song was that Roddy Frame/Aztec Camera had a song on their Debut album (High Land Hard Rain) called Down The Dip and the last line of the song was a direct swipe of the Dylan song.

I went off and bought the album and was pleased to discover a few songs on it that I also liked: Subterranean Homesick Blues, Maggie's Farm, Tambourine Man and It's All Over Now, Baby Blue.

The album was Dylan getting away from the Protest songs and the Folk Movement and much to the horror of the folk crowd he used an electric band on the record!

Having listened now to pretty much most of Dylan's output Bringing It All Back Home remains my favourite.

Bonus
Cover Versions of Songs on Bring It All Back Home

Subterranean Homesick Blues has been covered by:
The Lumineers.
Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Michael Franti.
Sizzla (Reggae Version)
Harry Nilsson.
 
She Belongs To Me has been covered by:
 
Maggie's Farm has been covered by:


The Specials released a version of Maggie's Farm as the B-Side to their Do Nothing Single on Two Tone Records in 1980


Maggie's Farm - The Specials

Toots Hibbert.
Solomon Burke.
The Blues Band
Rage Against The Machine.
 
Love Minus Zero/No Limit has been covered by:
The Turtles
The Walker Brothers.
Judy Collins.
Rod Stewart.
Buck Owens.
Fleetwood Mac.
Jackson Browne.

Outlaw Blues has been covered by:
The White Stripes.
Queens Of The Stone Age.
The Morning Benders.


Mr Tambourine Man has been covered by:


April 1965 US
May 1965 UK
US Chart #1
UK Chart #1

Gregory Isaacs.
Wolf and The Moon.
William Shatner.
The Beau Brummels.

Gates of Eden has been covered by:
Julie Felix.
Bryan Ferry.
Arlo Guthrie.

It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) has been covered by:

Wendy James
On the Double A-Sided Single with You're So Great. It is also included on the album The Price Of The Ticket which was released in 2016.


Wendy James talks Bob Dylan:
I, like millions of others, begin and end with Bob Dylan. Since I can’t remember when, maybe 12 years old? Bob has been my touchstone. His songs are what I listen to when I need to calm my soul, find my peace, find my strength, affirm my wisdom. Bob Dylan has tracked my soul for all my life so far, and always will. There are of course, so many many perfect moments from him, it’s mind-blowing the simplicity, the complexity, the effortlessness, the timelessness of his words and his melodies. Blood On The Tracks, Bringing It All Back Home, Desire, Slow Train Coming… I mean, I’m just going to list you everything. But… when I was about 13 years old I heard 'It’s Alright Ma, (I’m Only Bleeding)' and that was it for me. He knew everything. Job done. Life explained.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts