Search This Blog

Friday 3 March 2017

Music Is The Answer #2: Is Music Really Dead?

No doubt over the years you have read the stories in the papers that Music is Dead! Infact, the story is so old that the Pallbearers have aged and are barely able to carry the coffin! 😀

Back in the 1970's Don McLean sang about "the day the music died" in American Pie. Bob Dylan, in 1978 was declaring that "rock and roll was dead". Anarcho punkers Crass were singing "Punk is Dead" and The Knack were belting out "Pop is Dead". "Rock is finally dead," Gene Simmons (Kiss) declared in an interview with Esquire. "The death of rock was not a natural death. Rock did not die of old age. It was murdered," he added.

For all the woe, stays of execution, miraculous coming back to life, and dirt on the grave pronouncements Music is still very much alive and kicking in 2017. Yes the business models might have changed a lot down through the years but as long as we are in the world and are experiencing life with all its joys and heartbreaks, its pleasures and its pain and things that excite us and things that anger us, there will always be a need for music in whatever style it comes!

Three songs that prove to me that Music is the Answer and stll matters and is to valued are:

Music - John Miles

Music was my first love
And it will be my last.
Music of the future
And music of the past.

To live without my music
Would be impossible to do.
In this world of troubles,
My music pulls me through.

Lyrics and Music by John Miles

I Still Believe - Frank Turner

And I still believe (I still believe) in the saints.
Yeah, in Jerry Lee and in Johnny and all the greats.

And I still believe (I still believe) in the sound,
That has the power to raise a temple and tear it down.

And I still believe (I still believe) in the need,
For guitars and drums and desperate poetry.

And I still believe that everyone,
Can find a song for every time they've lost and every time they've won.

So just remember folks we not just saving lives, we're saving souls,
And we're having fun.

And I still believe.

Lyrics and Music by Frank Turner

100% Dynamite - Lulubelle III

I - wanna be around when the needle touches down and it makes a lovely sound
I - when it sinks into the groove, makes your body want to move like it's got something to prove

When the needle hits the plastic, it makes me feel alive
All that warmth and beauty makes me feel 100% Dynamite!

I - nothing can compare to the sound of bass and snare and a finely tuned guitar
I - wanna dance like a fool, like I'm real real cool, like I'm bustin' outta school

When the needle hits the plastic, it makes me feel alive
All that warmth and beauty makes
me feel 200% Dynamite!

I got blues, I got country, I got glam rock, I got soul
I got electronic music, I got psychedelia, I got my rock 'n' roll

When the needle hits the plastic, it makes me feel alive
All that warmth and beauty makes
me feel 300% Dynamite!

I - why don't you follow me around to the dirty part of town where your troubles can't be found
I - gonna break your mama's heart, gonna break your daddy's heart, gonna break you right in two

When the needle hits the plastic, it makes me feel alive
All that warmth and beauty makes me feel 400% Dynamite!

Lyrics and Music by Ronnie Carnwath

********************

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts