Search This Blog

Friday 18 November 2016

Let The Day Begin...Let The Day Start!: Day 323 - Janis Joplin

  
Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits - Janis Joplin
CBS/Columbia
Released July 1973
US Chart #37*

*Has sold over 7 Million Copies in the USA.



Tracklisting


A1 Big Brother and The Holding Company - Piece Of My Heart    
A2
Big Brother and The Holding Company - Summertime    
A3 Kozmic Blues Band  - Try (Just A Little Bit Harder)    
A4 Full Tilt Boogie Band - Cry Baby    
A5 Full Tilt Boogie Band - Me And Bobby McGee (Single Version)
   


B1 Big Brother and The Holding Company - Down On Me (Live)    
B2 Full Tilt Boogie Band - Get It While You Can    
B3 Big Brother and The Holding Company - Bye, Bye Baby    
B4 Full Tilt Boogie Band - Move Over    
B5 Full Tilt Boogie Band - Ball And Chain (Live)


The 1999 CD Reissue/Remaster included two bonus tracks:

********************

One of my favourite "Greatest Hits" album for years has been the one released by CBS (UK)/Columbia Records (USA) in 1973 celebrating the music of Janis Joplin. My vinyl copy of this is long lost to the wind but I still have it on CD these days. 


I'm certain I've said it here before that the first ever album I bought was Cheap Thrills by Big Brother and The Holding Company. I was just a kid and bought it because I liked the crazy cartoon cover art but also because somewhere in my young life I had heard Ball and Chain and Piece of My Heart and liked them both. I can't recall if I had seen footage on the television of her perfoming them or whether I had heard them on the radio, but aged ten what was I to know about who she was and what she was all about! I just knew that I liked what I had heard and that was the reasoning for spending money that I had saved up. At that age I probably didn't even understand the concept that she was dead either!

I didn't get the Greatest Hits album straight away when it came out but maybe a year later. Again my reasoning was that it contained Me and Bobby McGee which I had heard on the radio and liked along with my favourites Ball and Chain and Piece of My Heart and the fact that she looked kinda cool on that motorbike! 😎

I had a listen to the album last night for the first time in a couple of years at least and the report is that 43 years and 4 months since its release it still sounds pretty fine to me. 😃

Let The Day Begin...Let The Day Start!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts