Search This Blog

Friday 11 November 2016

In Memory of Leonard Cohen 1934 - 2016

 "I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah"

- Leonard Cohen
   
I woke this morning to the sad news of the passing of Leonard Cohen aged 82. His death comes three weeks after his latest album You Want It Darker was released.

The details surrounding his passing have not been made known and there seems to be some confusion as to the date as some have reported it as yesterday whilst on the Wikipedia page for him it says 7th November 2016. Dave Remnick said it was Tuesday. The date so much doesn't really matter, but the sadness of hearing about the health issues he was experiencing as a result of cancer (this was major news to me and the last interview he gave this was made public) was very concerning.

Listen here to the last ever interview that Leonard Cohen gave to Dave Remnick for The New Yorker Radio Hour. This is most a fascinating insight to the man who despite his illness was gracious, funny, very on the ball mentally discussing deep issues as well as  unpublished poems and songs that he might get around to. Sadly that was not be.

I've included below his latest album and after hearing Remnick's interview and how the album was recorded and this knowledge that Cohen himself knew he wasn't long for this world it's an amazing parting shot I think.

"I'm leaving the table, I'm out of the game" 
- Leonard Cohen 

 You Want It Darker - Leonard Cohen
Columbia
Produced by Adam Cohen
Released 21st October 2016
Canadian Chart #1
US Chart #10
UK Chart #4



Soon I'll do a post where we can look back at some of the other music that Leonard Cohen has made down through the years.

I'll finish up here though with my favourite Leonard Cohen song (and it's not Hallelujah)

Tower of Song

"Now I bid you farewell, I don't know when I'll be back
There moving us tomorrow to that tower down the track
But you'll be hearing from me baby, long after I'm gone
I'll be speaking to you sweetly
From a window in the Tower of Song"
- Leonard Cohen
RIP

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts