Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 August 2016

Let The Day Begin...Let The Day Start!: Day 223 The Mamas & The Papas

The Mamas & The Papas Deliver - The Mamas & The Papas
Dunhill
Produced by Lou Adler
Released February 1967
US Chart #2
UK Chart #4


A1. Dedicated To The One I Love
A2. My Girl
A3. Creeque Alley
A4. Sing For Your Supper
A5. Twist And Shout
A6. Free Advice
B1. Look Through My Window
B2. Boys & Girls Together
B3. String Man
B4. Frustration
B5. Did You Ever Want To Cry
B6. John's Music Box

There's a number of links below, feel free to click on them and enjoy more music from The Mamas & The Papas.

Singles From Deliver
01. Look Through My Window / Once Was A Time I Thought
Released: 1966
US Chart #24

02. Dedicated to the One I Love / Free Advice
Released: 1967
US Chart #2
UK Chart #2

03. Creeque Alley / Did You Ever Want To Cry
Released: 1967
US Charts #5
UK Charts #9

*********************

My music listening throughout a week is very diverse and I like to make this blog musically diverse as well because whilst some who read it might be up on some of the particular styles of music I post, not everyone is, and therefore it's a great opportunity to maybe hear something you might never have had the chance to hear before.

Today's choice is a good example. I have posted about The Mamas & The Papas before so it's nice today to turn the spotlight upon them again and upon an album from their short but sweet catalogue. 

This time around it is their third Studio Album, The Mamas & The Papas Deliver. I saw a video yesterday evening of The Mamas & The Papas on a TV show doing Dedicated To The One I Love, Michelle Phillips vocal on it is just so gorgeous and it had me digging through the collection to listen afresh to the album.

As is typical with The Mamas & The Papas their Cover Versions are always quite remarkable and so you get My Girl, Twist and Shout, and a surprise number Sing For Your Supper that dates back to the 1938 Broadway Musical The Boys From Syracuse, Mama Cass does a great job on lead vocals.

Side A of the album is probably the stronger side and it features Dedicated To The One I Love and the most excellent Creeque Alley, which of course tells the tale of how the band got together. Back in August last year I had included Creeque Alley as part of the 45RPM Series here on the blog.

The album's title was an in-joke among the group, as recording commenced shortly after Cass Elliot gave birth to her daughter, Owen. Given the social stigma of unwed mothers at the time, both the pregnancy and the birth had been kept a closely guarded secret from the public, and the LP's name was meant to imply that Cass and the others had "delivered" a newborn creative creation.


Here's a little spotlight I did called Remembering Mama Cass from way back in 2013.
 

Let The Day Begin...Let The Day Start!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts