Search This Blog

Monday 16 May 2016

Rewind: Blind Man's Zoo - 10,000 Maniacs (1989)

Blind Man's Zoo is the fourth Studio Album from 10,000 Maniacs.

Two years prior to this 10,000 Maniacs had released In My Tribe, my friend Michelle from Denver, Colorado had sent me a cassette that included a couple of songs from that album (Hey Jack Kerouac, City of Angels and though I can't totally remember - it was a long time ago now - I think maybe Verdi Cries was also on it), and thus began my lifelong affection for 10,000 Maniacs and the voice of Natalie Merchant.

Blind Man's Zoo is probably my favourite album from 10,000 Maniacs and that mainly has to do with the fact that it was an album that was helpful to me during a personal crisis. It was the soothing sound of Natalie's voice and the gentleness of some of the songs on this album that gave a lot relief as I was struggling with getting off of alcohol and then moving to Scotland without much except a few changes of clothes and a few albums in a bag and a Walkman. Man, thinking back to that I'm amazed at just how far I have come in the past 27 years!

It was released on this day in 1989 and I was really happy to have got the chance to see them on the tour for the album in Glasgow on a magical Saturday night after avoiding the chaos of Saturday afternoon in the city when England fans were going crazy and fighting Scottish fans in main streets and back streets!

So nice sitting and listening to it again and it brings forth great feelings of gratitude to many who aided me and gave me a helping hand when trying to get a grip on my life in a new setting. The folks are too many to name but they know who they are.

Blind Man's Zoo - 10,000 Maniacs
Elektra
Produced by Peter Asher
Released 16th May 1989
US Chart #13
UK Chart #18


Singles From Blind Man's Zoo

UK Chart #77

UK Chart #93


Personnel
10,000 Maniacs

    Jerome Augustyniak – drums
    Robert Buck – electric guitar, acoustic guitar
    Dennis Drew – organ, piano
    Steve Gustafson – bass guitar
    Natalie Merchant – vocals, piano, pipe organ

Additional musicians
    Jevetta Steele – backing vocals
    Jason Osborn – arrangement, orchestral direction
    Krista Bennion Feeney – first violin
    Mitsuru Tsubota – second violin
    Louise Schulman – viola
    Myron Lutzke – cello
    Dennis Godburn – bassoon
    Robert Wolinsky – harpsichord
    Scott Kuney – classical guitar
    Frank Luther – double bass

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts