Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 March 2016

Let The Day Begin...Let The Day Start!: Day 75 - Emmylou Harris

I've been a big fan of Emmylou Harris for a number of years now. I can't remember the first time I really sat down and listened to her solo stuff but the first time I heard her voice was with Gram Parsons singing In My Hour of Darkeness (bet you thought I was going to say Love Hurts!).

Evangeline was the first album I got of hers. I think I bought it because I was interested in the fact that she had recorded some songs by an interesting bunch of folks: Rodney Crowell, John Fogerty, Robbie Robertson, James Taylor and Gram Parsons. Also I loved the fact that she had gathered around about her a great bunch of musicians to record the album (see the personnel list below).

The single Mr Sandman I didn't particularly like (personally I couldn't care much who sings it!) but the remaining tracks I really have a thing for.

Basically the album was put together of material she had recorded that didn't seem to fit on any of her previous albums. The title track she had recorded as part of The Last Waltz by The Band.

She did go on to make better albums of course (Cimarron, Thirteen, Angel Band, Bluebird, Brand New Dance, At The Ryman*, Wrecking Ball, Red Dirt Girl, Stumble Into Grace, All I Intended To Be, Hard Bargin, Old Yellow Moon and The Travelin Kind*  both with Rodney Crowell) but this one is still a little special to me.

* These are full albums, the rest of the albums that are mentioned just have one song from the album in the link.


Evangeline - Emmylou Harris
Warner Bros.
Produced by Brian Ahern
Released January 1981
US Chart #22
US Country #5
UK Chart #53


Personnel
    Emmylou Harris: Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocals
    Brian Ahern: Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Arch-Top Guitar, Gut String Guitar, 6-String Bass, Tambourine
    Hal Blaine: Drums
    Mike Bowden: Bass
    David Briggs: Piano
    Tony Brown: Piano
    James Burton: Electric Guitar
    Rodney Crowell: Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar
    Hank DeVito: Pedal Steel
    Jerry Douglas: Dobro
    Steve Fishell: Dobro
    Amos Garrett: Electric Guitar
    Emory Gordy, Jr.: Bass, Ernie Ball Bass
    Glen D. Hardin: Electric Piano
    Waylon Jennings: Duet Vocals
    Don Johnson: Piano, Backing Vocals
    Lynn Langham: Synthesizer
    Albert Lee: Electric Guitar, Piano
    Dave Lewis: Drums
    Larrie Londin: Drums
    Dolly Parton: Backing Vocals
    Bill Payne: Piano, Electric Piano
    Herb Pedersen: Backing Vocals
    Mickey Raphael: Harmonica
    Mac Rebbenack: Piano
    Frank Reckard: Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar
    Tony Rice: Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocals
    Linda Ronstadt: Backing Vocals
    Craig Safan: String Arrangements
    Ricky Skaggs: Acoustic Guitar, Fiddle, Mandolin, Backing Vocals
    Barry Tashian: Backing Vocals
    John Ware: Drums, Percussion
    Cheryl White: Backing Vocals
    Sharon White: Backing Vocals

Bad Moon Rising Live 1981
Let The Day Begin...Let The Day Start!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts