Search This Blog

Monday 10 August 2015

The August Album Challenge: 10. Coloured Record

I don't really remember a lot of records that were on Coloured Vinyl prior to the whole Punk and New Wave Scene, I'm sure there was some (maybe have to do some investigating and see what the first record was to have Coloured Vinyl).

But there were loads of singles I can remember that came out on Coloured Vinyl like 999's Nasty Nasty (Green), Sound of the Suburbs - The Members and Life Begins at the Hop - XTC (Clear), C.I.D. - UK Subs (Red, Orange, Blue, Green and a couple of others as well I think), Warhead - UK Subs (Brown), Friday's Angels - Generation X (Orange, Red, Pink and Yellow), Banana Splits - The Dickies (Yellow), Eve of Destruction - The Dickies (Pink), Picture This - Blondie (Yellow), Shadow - The Lurkers (Red), and loads more. I had a Stranglers EP, an American release that was kind of a lucious Pink swirl, and whilst scratching my head think of another album that was coloured vinyl I vaguely recall that Road to Ruin by Ramones was issued on Yellow vinyl.

My choice though is an album that is one of my absolute all-time favourites. I still play this album, sadly not on vinyl these days because I don't have a turntable (but I still have a copy of it that's a bit beaten and worn from a lot of play previously when I did have a player).

I don't think there's a bad track on the album myself, others would probably disagree. Hard to say what my favourite track is on the album but if pressed I'd say it's a toss up between Lovers of Outrage, Nostalgia and Free Money, I can't decide really but the top spot is swaped around between those three!

 The First 15,000 copies on luminous vinyl


Moving Targets - Penetration
Virgin Records
Produced by Mike Howlett and Mick Glossop
Released October 1978
UK Chart #22

Personnel
Pauline Murray - Vocals
Neale Floyd - Guitar
Fred Purser - Guitar
Robert Blamire - Bass
Gary Smallman - Drums

Original Tracklist
Side One
01. Future Daze
02. Life's A Gamble
03. Lovers of Outrage
04. Vision
05. Silent Community
06. Stone Heroes

Side Two
01. Movement
02. Too Many Friends
03. Reunion
04. Nostalgia (Buzzcocks Cover)
05. Free Money (Patti Smith Cover)



Moving Targets was #6 in the Sounds Critics' Album of the Year and #13 in the NME Critics' Album of the Year.

Singles from the album
"Life’s A Gamble" / "V.I.P." (September 1978: VS 226)

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts