Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 July 2015

Music is the Doctor #8: The Colours


This week's Music is the Doctor is getting all colourful with a 20 track playlist of songs dealing with COLOURS



The COLOURS - The Men They Couldn't Hang.
Just why TMTCH were never really massive I'll never know because they had loads of great songs like this one dealing with volatile issues cloaked in the garb of solid pop music.

All Black - Good Charlotte.
From the Good Morning Revival album. I really liked this lot but they kind of went off the boil after this album. Now they are TV Stars or married to TV Stars living it large!

Brown Eyed Handsome Man - Buddy Holly.
No words needed here for Ol' Buddy. The King of Rock and Roll in my book...move over Elvis!

The Gold Song - Bouncing Souls.
New Jersey Wonder Kids. The Gold Album is a particular favourite of mine.

Silver Machine - Hawkwind.
Ol' Lemmy when he was a younger lad. Hawkwind on Top of the Pops now that's bizzare!

All Cats Are Grey - The Cure.
Not a big fan of the song but it kind of fitted in with the subject.

Pale Blue Eyes - Edwyn Collins and Pete Wylie.
Edwyn and Paul Quinn released a version of this that was totally gorgeous. This live version with Pete Wylie is equally as lovely.

Pink Houses - John Mellencamp.
Have always had a fondness of this song. Mellencamp is an oft forgotten part of the musical map that is inhabited by the likes of Springsteen, Young etc.

Nights in White Satin - The Dickies.
I'll throw this one in for my old butty Ralph. Besides loving Jilted John he speaks warmly of The Dickies.

Red Shoes - Elvis Costello.
An oldie from Elvis and a single that I really love a lot (the B-Side 'Mystery Dance' is one of those great Cardiac Arrest Rockers).

Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix.
It was this or Prince and because I am not keen on the Pint Sized Paisely Park Boy I've gone with the man who took guitar playing to another planet and back again.

Pink Orange Red - Cocteau Twins.
Half the time I never had a clue what they were singing about but there was always something especially moving about the delivery by Elizabeth Fraser. I can't number the amount of times listening to her sing 'Song to the Siren' has brought me to tears just because of the sheer beauty of her voice.

Crimson and Clover - Joan Jett.
 Joan has always had the ability to pick a great tune to cover and she's rarely failed. This one was originally a hit for Tommy James and The Shondells.

The Beigeness - Kate Tempest.
Have to say that I love this track. British Rappers usually sound terrible I think, mainly because they try to sound like their American Brothers, but Kate still sounds like a good ol' South East London girl.

Yellow Flicker Beat - Lorde.
Another one who is a mystery to me at times and yet there are a couple of tunes that I really like of hers.

Take Down The Union Jack - Billy Bragg.
We kicked off the playlist with the Red the White and the Blue and so heading to the end it's good to bring them altogether again here in Billy Bragg's lament.

Little Red Riding Hood - 999.
 By the standards of 999 this is very tame! But I quite like it for it's daftness.

White and Nerdy - Weird Al Yankovic.
Just so funny. The video totally brings the song to life. A hilarious moment indeed!

It's All Over Now Baby Blue - Bob Dylan.
I would have put Echo and the Bunnymen's great cover of this on but took a listen afresh to Uncle Bob's and thought why not just stick this version in. I'm a huge fan of his album 'Bringing It All Back Home' from whence this is taken.

COLOUR My World - Petula Clark.
A bit of an odd one to finish the playlist but hey it fits. I'll say no more.

Hope you enjoyed the music.
Come back for more Music is the Doctor next week.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts