Search This Blog

Monday 1 June 2015

Squeeze: Singles - 45's and Under (1982)



Do you ever wake up in the morning/afternoon/evening/middle of the night (delete what isn't appropriate to you) with a lyric or a tune in your head? Today for me it was this:

"Alone here in the kitchen
I feel there's something missing
I'd beg for some forgiveness
But begging's not my business"
- from 'Up the Junction' by Squeeze

Of course that gives a good excuse to reach into the old music vault and pull out an album to play. 

'Up the Junction' was of course on their 1979 album 'Cool For Cats', which surprisingly only reached #45 in the UK Album Charts. But it did produce two hit singles that both peaked at #2 (the title track and 'Up the Junction'). The first single from the album 'Goodbye Girl' only managed to peak at #63.

So I stuck my hand into the pile of Squeeze albums and pulled out 'Singles - 45's and Under' from 1982, their first compliation released on A&M Records. This particular compilation reached #3 in the UK Album Charts. Looking at the tracklist one of the things that amazes me is that there are a number of singles included that really should have reached a higher chart placing - 'Is That Love' and 'Tempted' especially. Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford are quite possibly two of my favourite songwriters.

Anyway, for your listening pleasure as well here it is. Enjoy.

Tracklist
    "Take Me I'm Yours" – 2:48 #19 UK
    "Goodbye Girl" (US single version) – 3:05 #63 UK
    "Cool for Cats" – 3:10 #2 UK
    "Up the Junction" – 3:10 #2 UK
    "Slap and Tickle" – 4:16 #24 UK
    "Another Nail in My Heart" – 2:55 #17 UK
    "Pulling Mussels (from the Shell)" – 4:00 #44 UK
    "Labelled with Love" (#4 UK) – 4:44 / "If I Didn't Love You" (US) – 4:10
    "Is That Love" – 2:30 #35 UK
    "Tempted" – 4:00 #41 UK
    "Black Coffee in Bed" – 6:10 #51 UK
    "Annie Get Your Gun" – 3:22 #43 UK

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts