Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 March 2015

Rewind: 1973 - The Dark Side of the Moon Released

Released 16th March 1973 UK/1st March 1973 USA
#1 US Billboard Chart*
#2 UK Album Chart 
*The Dark Side of the Moon became one of the best-selling albums of all time, (not counting compilations and various artists soundtracks), and is in the top 25 of a list of best-selling albums in the United States. Although it held the number one spot in the US for only a week, it remained in the Billboard album chart for 741 weeks.


Live at The Empire Pool Wembley
1974

I can remember a moment back when I was a kid reading the music press (not sure what paper it was now) when I saw a picture of Johnny Rotten wearing a 'I Hate Pink Floyd' T-shirt (it turns out that Cook, Jones and Rotten had all worn the same T-shirt at one point or other during their early days) and from that moment onwards it seemed to be the norm that if you were a Punk Rocker that you also hated Pink Floyd! Personally I thought that was totally dumb. Why should I cast aside the music I had been listening to just because it was no longer deemed cool by "the punk elite"?

Whilst I am not by any means a huge Floyd fan, back when I was younger I had a real love for a lot of the stuff they had done. I was first introduced to their music as a 12 year old kid (1975) by a friend at school who totally loved them. Some of it was a bit odd for me and a bit too long as well (when you've been used to listening to songs that last anywhere from between three minutes to seven minutes getting used to a band that for instance has just one song on the side of an LP is a tough thing to phathom - Echoes from the 1971 album 'Meddle' lasts for 23mins 29secs!)! 

Anyway, regardless of what was deemed as cool I really had a thing for them and that was right up until 'The Wall' was released in 1979 (an album I just didn't like and I never really followed what they were doing after that). 'Animals' had been my last favourite Floyd album and 'Wish You Were Here' remains a favourite as well all these years later.

This coming Monday is the anniversary of the release of The Dark Side of the Moon in the UK (the reason I posted this piece today was intially the Music History Calandar said the album was released today but upon further investigation I discovered that was not the case at all, but I thought I'd post it regardless as Monday is a bit of a busy day for me and I might not get the chance to do it then) and it was nice to take the chance to listen to the album again after so many years of not hearing it. 

Click on the links to enjoy further spotlight on The Dark Side of the Moon.



The Dark Side of the Moon
Covered

More Covers

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts