Search This Blog

Thursday 3 July 2014

Sinéad O’Connor - I'm Not Bossy, I'm The Boss (August 2014)

There's a terrible tendency when it comes to Sinéad O’Connor to write her off with one stroke of the pen because she's a woman who is complicated and obviously has issues and seems to carry so much baggage that surely she can't be up to much good. We all have baggage though, and unlike Sinéad O’Connor, our baggage seems to stay private. But in writing her off so easily you actually miss out on so much. There's a depth to her writing that is quite uncommon among female artists (Natalie Merchant for me is probably the only other one who manages to capture such emotion and lay it bare in a song).

Her last album, 'How About I Be Me (And You Be You)?' was so good that I made it the Soundtrack4Life Pop Album of 2012.

And now her latest album, due in August is her tenth studio album and it's loaded once again with fantastic songs, catchy hooks and as ever deep and meaningful lyrics. I have a feeling this one is going to be riding high in my end of the year Best of 2014 list.

The opening track, 'How About I Be Me', seems like a carry over from the previous album and it's a statement right off the bat that she wants to be regarded as a woman and not some nutjob as she's often portrayed in the press.

Other standout tracks for me are 'Harbour', 'James Brown' (and it's funky like the Godfather of Soul), the single 'Take Me To Church' and the haunting 'Streetcars' that ends the album. Actually, it's hard to find fault with any of the tracks on it because they are all so good. I thought she had made her best album last time out but this one tops it by miles.

1 comment:

Me said...

Sinead make so much sense to me a W.O.M.A.N stepping outside the box

Blog Archive

Popular Posts