This Festive Fifty is indeed an eclectic bunch of tunes and the Top 15 is no exception. I don't feel the need to explain any of the choices as they were the things that moved me, I hope in some small way you might find something among the whole 50 that thrills you a little.
If I could make one comment though regarding the #1 song that I chose then I'll say this: For the past two years on this blog I have followed from afar The Wrecking Ball Tour by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band and each show I posted about excited me more and more about the possibility of catching at least one show in person. To my delight he returned to Glasgow in June and my wife lovingly purchased tickets as a 50th Birthday present and it was one of the musical highlights of the year for me. 'Thunder Road' was the final song of a set that lasted almost three and a half hours and the intimacy of the song done acoustically was mesmerising. Personally I didn't get what some folks were complaining about on the various Bruce forums about his ending the shows in this way because it was like the song that crowned the whole set for me. Even watching the video again of it sends chills down my spine and warms my heart with great memories of a brilliant night of rock and roll music.
Hope you have enjoyed it. Hopefully we can do it all again in 2014.
15. Say Hello - Jelly (From 'Troubadour, Wizard, The Queen and the Machine').
14. If I Only Could - The Godfathers (From 'Jukebox Fury').
13. Bo Diddley Special - Eric Burdon (From ''Til Your River Runs Dry').
12. It Ain't Over - The 45's (From the Single 'It Ain't Over/Devil of a Woman').
11. Talk About the Good Times - Elvis Presley (From 'Elvis at Stax').
10. Walk Us Uptown - Elvis Costello and the Roots (From 'Wise Up Ghost and Other Songs').
09. I Will Steal You Back - Jimmy Eat World (From 'Damage').
08. Lose The Reason - The Primitives (From the 7" Single 'Lose The Reason').
07. Cakewalk - Tankus the Henge (From 'The Last Days Are Coming').
06. Soulmates to Strangers - Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (From 'Unvarnished').
05. Fortunate Son - John Fogerty with Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters (From 'Wrote A Song For Everyone').
04. Smiling Culture - Ruts DC (From 'Rhythm Collision Volume 2').
03. Rosalita - Ian Prowse (From the single 'Rosalita/Cecilia').
02. This Hard Land (Acoustic) - Bruce Springsteen (From 'Wrecking Kilkenny Bootleg 28/07/13).
01. Thunder Road (Acoustic) - Bruce Springsteen (From 'Wrecking Glasgow Bootleg 18/06/13').
- ► 2016 (667)
- ► 2015 (698)
- ► 2014 (686)
- Final Post of the Year. All the Best for 2014
- Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Bruce Springsteen Songs...
- Bruce Springsteen High Hopes (January 2014)
- Goodnight Mudkiss...
- Soundtrack4Life Festive Fifty 2013: Part Three 15-...
- Soundtrack4Life Festive Fifty 2013: Part Two 30-16...
- Soundtrack4Life Festive Fifty 2013: Part One - 50-...
- Soundtrack4Life Interviews Joe Silva
- Dave Higgs R.I.P.
- A Christmas Greeting from Soundtrack4Life
- Happy Birthday Billy Bragg
- Ruts DC: Segs and Ruffy Interview
- The Damned, Theatre of Hate and Ruts DC - Roundhou...
- Ruts DC and The Damned - Edinburgh HMV Picture Hou...
- Stiff Records - The Early Years Part Two 1977
- Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - Any Weather (Offic...
- Stiff Records - The Early Years Part One 1976
- Happy Birthday Peter Buck
- Happy Birthday Rick Buckler
- ▼ December (19)
- ► 2012 (280)
- ► 2011 (85)
- ► 2010 (60)
- ► 2009 (48)
A little something for the weekend, a nice blast through some of the tunes that were the Soundtrack to my life when I was 16 years old! ...
When was the last time that music really, and I mean really upset the establishment? Yep, I'm scratching my noggin trying to remember if...
We have been looking and listening to some of the Punk and New Wave tunes in The Sound of 1977 the past few months and I thought it wou...
On the second of our Playlists spotlighting The Sounds of 1978 we get to hear a few Debut Singles from the likes of SPIZZOIL , prag Vec ...
🌟🌟🌟🌟 IV (Rattus Norvegicus) - The Stranglers United Artists Produced by Martin Rushent Released 15th April 1977 UK Chart #4 ...
In The City / Takin My Love Polydor Produced by Vic Smith and Chris Parry Released April 1977 UK Chart #40* A-Side: In T...
🌟🌟🌟🌟 ½ Sneakin' Suspicion - Dr. Feelgood United Artists Produced by Bert de Coteaux Released May 1977 UK Char...
We venture for the third time into the great wide open of 1978 to find twenty tunes that for us summed up The Sound of 1978 ! On Th...
🌟🌟🌟🌟 ½ In The City - The Jam Polydor Produced by Vic Smith and Chris Parry Released 20th May 1977 UK Chart #20 ...
I was thinking today about the band The Photos , maybe because I had seen somewhere that today is the anniversary of the release of their ...