Search This Blog

Sunday 17 June 2012

Father's Day 2012

My Father's House - Bruce Springsteen (November 16th 1990 Los Angeles)

Whenever I hear this song it always makes me think of my own Dad. Like Bruce I had some hard times with my Dad growing up and for many years I really struggled to make any sense of our "relationship". I would not pretend that all was totally fixed before he passed away because that would be a lie, but we did begin mending some fences when I got married back in 1992, and though not perfect by any sense of the imagination it was a start.


When he had a stroke and was rushed to hospital I made the long journey down from Glasgow to London to visit him and although he could not speak I had a feeling from his eyes that he was pleased to see me. After he died I thought that there were a thousand things I never said to him, and that's always the problem when a relationship has known great strain, there's always a thousand things and more you want to say to each other but somehow feel unable to.

Anyway, today is Father's Day and he came to mind, so I want to put this song up today just so it is on record that I took a moment to remember him today.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts