Search This Blog

Friday 5 August 2011

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die 1950's


I'm a bit of a sad anorak when it comes to music lists and this list of 1001 albums you must hear before you die interested me so much that I though I'd plough through the list and see what ones I have heard (in italics) and what ones I actually have in my collection and of course have heard (in bold).

o Sinatra, Frank – In the Wee Small Hours
o Presley, Elvis – Elvis Presley (1956)
o Louvin Brothers – Tragic Songs of Life
o Prima, Louis – Wildest
o Domino, Fats – This is Fats
o Ellington, Duke – At Newport (1956)
o Sinatra, Frank – Songs for Swingin’ Lovers!
o Crickets – Chirping…
o Basie, Count – Atomic Mr Basie
o Monk, Thelonious – Brilliant Corners
o Sabú [Martínez] – Palo Congo
o Davis, Miles – Birth of the Cool
o Machito – Kenya
o Little Richard – Here’s…
o Puente, Tito and His Orchestra – Dance Mania (1958)
o Holiday, Billie – Lady in Satin
o Elliott, Jack – Jack Takes the Floor
o Vaughan, Sarah – At Mister Kelly’s
o Fitzgerald, Ella – Sings the Gershwin Song Book
o Charles, Ray – Genius of… (1959)
o Davis, Miles – Kind of Blue
o Robbins, Marty – Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
o Brubeck, Dave – Time Out

Intersting that there is no Johnny Cash in that list. I have 5 albums of the Man in Black and I would have thought at least the 1957 album 'With His Hot and Blue Guitar' would have made the list!


Also, whilst The Crickets' 'Chirping Crickets' is a pretty tasty album the 1958 'Buddy Holly' album released on Brusnwick I think is worthwhile being an entry as well. It contains some of Holly's finest: Peggy Sue, Everyday, Words of Love, and Rave On.


Missing also from the list is Gene Vincent and his Blue Caps debut 'Bluejean Bop' released in 1956 and also the brilliant 'Singin to My Baby' by Eddie Cochran (1957 Liberty).

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts