Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 May 2008

Various Books

Here's a few books that I've read in the past couple of weeks. Really worth checking out if these subjects are of interest to you.



Nice to read this history of the famous Roxy Club. What I really liked about the book though was it captures the history of all things punk. The fashion, the music, the wars with Teds and Skinheads. It's all there. Had me thinking back to the days when I was 13-14 years old and Punk was on the rise.



I loved this book. Esso, one time drummer of The Lurkers has done a great job defining the band and the times. The Lurkers are one of the bands I grew up with and saw loads of times so it was cool to read the story.




It's a good read about one of the great venues in the East End of London. Lots of great stories about everyone from Rory Gallagher, Steve Marriot, the Blues Band to Depeche Mode, Cockney Rejects and one of the 80's finest bands Wasted Youth (think Velvets meets Psychedelic Furs meets Joy Division).

A few good friends get a mention in the book: Honey Bane, Rachel of Dolly Mixtures (once girlfriend of Captain Sensible), Ian Paige of the Secret Affair (known him since the days of The New Hearts along with Dave Cairns, guitarist of the same bands) and Peter Perrett of the Only Ones (one of the strange folk I knew in Forest Hill when I was a kid).




Just started reading this one by Alice Cooper. I'll let you know what it's like once I've finished it.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts